Here is a critical step: completing the background check that your school requires! All NEW tutors require a background check and some returning tutors may be asked to do a renewal.
Not every school has the same policies and instructions. Find your school below to read how you can get your background check completed!
Columbus City Schools (Avondale, Cranbrook, Eakin, Fairwood, Ohio Avenue, Starling, and Sullivant)
- New tutors are required to complete a FBI/BCI fingerprint check. Some returning tutors will be due for a renewal. Your Program Coordinator will contact you if you are required to renew.
- The most efficient way to undergo a background check is to attend a live orientation session. If you bring your ID, you can complete the check at that time. RSVP here for a live orientation session.
- If you are unable to attend please email Nancy Newhall at email@example.com to schedule your appointment. You will visit Central Ohio Youth for Christ (5000 Arlington Centre Blvd, Columbus, OH 43220 — park in the visitor lot and enter through the main lobby). Please bring your ID.
- Some tutors are interested in making a donation to help absorb some or all of the $46 cost for completing the FBI/BCI check. Tutors can provide the donation when they get the background check or can donate using an online form (select Columbus Tutoring Initiative on the “Donate To” line).
Dublin City Schools (Daniel Wright and Riverside)
- Tutors at these schools will visit the Dublin City Schools website to complete an online background check. Please designate your school’s name so the results can be sent to the correct location.
Hilliard City Schools (Beacon, Britton and Hilliard Crossing)
- Tutors at these schools will visit the Hilliard City Schools website to complete an online background check. The tutor will pay $16.95. Tutors will apply for a renewed background check every three years.
Southwestern City Schools (Highland Park, Prairie Norton and Stiles)
- Tutors will receive specific background check instructions from his/her program coordinator once they apply.
Westerville City School (Huber Ridge and Wilder)
- Tutors at Huber Ridge will fill out paperwork provided by your Program Coordinator.
- Tutors at Wilder should follow the instructions listed above for Columbus City Schools.
Thank you for completing this important step!